Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Key West, Florida

So this summer my grandmother took me to Key West, Florida. If you haven't been there I highly recommend you go there. Its a gorgeous set of Islands filled with history, beauty, some kitties and a lively day and night scene. Key West is closer to Havana, Cuba than Miami, Florida. Key West is the southern most city in the U.S.
I was able to go this summer to a beautiful island called Dry Tortugas (served after the Civil War as the prison for Dr. Samuel A. Mudd, convicted of conspiracy for setting the broken leg of John Wilkes Booth, the assassin of President Abraham Lincoln) It is 70 miles from Key West and 70 miles from Cuba. While I was there I was told that there was a refugee boat from Cuba on the way to the U.S. which I was able to see get picked up by the U.S. coast guard. Apparently when they get to U.S. soil they can stay, so they try to get to Dry Tortugas or another of the Islands out there.
Also on the Island of Key West is the Winter White House of Harry Truman. Ernest Hemingway also had a house there.
One of the more than 50 polydactyl cats that live at the Hemingway house. This particular cat has seven (two extra) toes on each paw. These cats were all over the city, there were also chickens pecking around which I thought was odd.
The Sunset Celebration at Mallory Square is a spectacular natural show, of the most beautiful sunset. There are jugglers, acrobats, and other such street entertainers. Boat excursions and tours provide a great way to view Key West from the water with snorkeling and scuba diving in abundance. I was able to go snorkeling at Dry Tortugas and saw gorgeous fish, coral, and other underwater treasures.
Key West has done a lot for me, my grandparents met there. My grandfather worked on his dad's shrimp boats there one summer and my grandmother was done there for the summer, they met and the rest is history.
There are so much more to tell about Key West but I don't want to spoil it for you. So go figure it out yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment